What is the best saddle soap for leather boots? Although leather is one of the strongest materials for making boots upper, it deteriorates in quality and appearance over extended usage.
However, there is a way to keep it shinning and appealing- using saddle soap.
This formulation cleans, conditions, and maintains your leather boots, jackets, belts, and other materials. In this review, we will discuss the best saddle soap and much more information you need to know about it.
Benefits of Saddle Soap
The best sandals soap cares and protects your leather items. It also improves their appearance and longevity if used in the right way. Here are some benefits of using saddle soap to clean your leather items.
The easiest and safest way to clean leather
When working sometimes your leather boots get exposed to some stubborn stains which are hard to remove without using detergents. However, most regular soaps or detergents can be harsh on the leather. To remove these stains effectively without destroying your leather item, you need to wash with saddle soap.
Prevents drying out of leather items
Just like any other skin, leather also dries if not oiled. If not taken care of, leather can crack, crumble, and consequently get destroyed entirely. To prevent this from happening, your need to oil and moisturize your leather using saddle soap. The best saddle soap for boots contains natural wax which cleans moisturizes and keeps your boots looking healthy and vibrant.
Remove dirt and grime
When the dirt is ingrained on the surface of your leather shoes, it is hard to remove it using a piece of wet rug. On the other hand, using regular soaps would destroy the leather upper. Therefore, the easiest and most effective way to remove grime caked on the surface of your boot is by using saddle soap. The best saddle soap for shoes is equipped with properties to effectively eliminate dirt and grime on your boots.
Improve the appearance of your boots
We all want to look good in our leather boots. However, when leather boots are used for long they lose that attractive appearance. The best saddle soap features nourishing and polishing agents to restore the natural glean on your leather keeping your boots shining always.
Prolongs the life of your leather items
The quality and durability of leather get compromised if used for a long time without care. Therefore, the most obvious property of saddle soap is its ability to protect the leather from salt stains, grime, and dryness. The best saddle soap is made from beeswax and lanolin all of which are organic derivatives that protect the skin. Applying them on your leather keeps it intact for a very long time.
How to Use Saddle Soap on Leather Items
Before we look at how to use saddle soap, let’s look at saddle soap vs leather conditioner which many people confuse.
While the saddle soap is endowed with both the cleaning and conditioning agents, the leather conditioner is equipped with only the conditioning agent. It, therefore, means a conditioner is only able to nourish the boot but can’t remove dirt and stains. On the other hand, saddle soap simultaneously nourishes and cleans leather boots.
Now that we have seen saddle soap is better than a leather conditioner, let’s see how you use it on leather boots.
First of all, you need saddle soap, a damp cloth, three clean dry rags, some water, and a soft shoe brush.
- Remove your shoelaces and use a damp cloth and a brush to remove dust, mud, and grime as much as possible.
- Use one of the dry rags to wipe off excess water from your boot. Keep in mind that water and leather are not friends. If the water is left to dry on leather, it causes cracking and crumbling.
- Get one of the remaining two clothes and wet it using some water. Use this cloth to pick up some saddles soap and apply on your boot and scrub vigorously using a soft brush as you see fit.
- Use the remaining dry cloth to wipe off any excess saddle soap and water from your boot. Once you have dried the boots completely using a dry cloth, leave them under shade for 24 hours to air-dry.
Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
Leather items such as seats, boots, bags, belts, and other items are very expensive to replace and therefore you need to care for them properly. The only way to care for these valuable items is by using the best sandals soap. However, it’s hard to find the right formulation since most companies nowadays add chemicals to lower the production cost of the saddle soap. Here, we will discuss some factors to consider before buying saddle soap.
Ease of use
If saddle soap is used in the correct way, it can prolong the life of your leather boots while still giving them an appealing appearance. However, if also used in the wrong way, it can have adverse negative effects on the longevity of your work boots. For this reason, you need saddle soap that is easy to use. The application instruction must be readable, understandable, and easy to follow.
Avoid Lye products
Lye is a highly caustic product used in the formulation of some saddle soap brands. If this product is listed as the main ingredient in the making of the saddle soap, you may want to get an alternative. This is because lye is caustic in nature and has high PH value, which can have harsh effects on leather. Some of these negatives include cracking, splitting, darkening, and hardening thus reducing its life span.
The best saddle soap is made using harmless animal derivatives such as beeswax. We said early some companies use some additive to lower the cost of production. These additives can be harmful to both your skin and the boot. When choosing check for the ingredients in its formulation, and also some independent reviews such as this one.
You want a product that is within your budget. While cheap products are the most affordable, it vital to know that they might have expensive consequences such as replacing your leather boots. On the other hand, expensive products do not necessarily mean they are of top quality. Therefore, the choice of the saddle soap boils down to its ingredients and a formulation within your budget.
Related: Best Work Boots for Women
Best Saddle Soap Reviews 2021
It can be a daunting task to choose the best saddle soap due to the array available in the market. Luckily for you, we have scripted the best products based on customer reviews and our personal experience. Below are our top three picks.
Fiebing is one of the most popular saddle soap used in the USA. It is a versatile product that can be applied in a variety of leather items such as shoes, belts, furniture, purses, gloves, etc. Its special formulation of natural products seeps in leather lubricating it, while still strengthens it thus eliminating brittleness. After using the Fiebing saddle soap, the leather maintains suppleness, strength, and extra shinning nature.
- Special formulation to clean and polish
- Comes in paste form for easy application
- Great quality Since 1895
- Made in the USA
- Natural ingredients to prolong the life of your boot
- Easy to open container for easy application
- Affordable yet highly effective
- Lubricate and protects leather articles
- It is versatile in application
- Prolongs the life of the leather items
- Maintains suppleness and strength of leather
- Appears in different colors and packaging
- Easy to use and gentle to your leather and your skin
- It struggles to remove grease stains
- Can dry out if left open
Kiwi is an SC Johnson family international company known to make quality and reliable shoe products since 1886.
Their Kiwi saddle soap features a blend of natural ingredients that clean, soften, and preserve all leather items. The ingredients include glycerin and lanolin to make leather soft and supple. This ensures the soap is effective in removing caked grime and dirt. Additionally, it features natural quality wax for added protection and shinning appearance of your boot.
- Formulated using traditional ingredients that help to clean and protect your boots
- Features glycerin and lanolin that softens and cares for your leather item
- With natural quality wax for added protection and nourishments
- Easy to open container for easy application
- Made in the USA
- Protects, supple, and softens leather
- Cares for leather thus enhancing its longevity
- Nourishes and makes your boot shine
- Cleans most salt stains, dirt, and grime.
- Easy and safe to apply
- Can be used in a variety of items
- No need to use leather condition after using this product
- Not for use with suede or nubuck leather
- Does not remove tough stains such as those of grease
Farnam saddle soap is the easiest to apply in this list since it is liquid. Liquids are easier to apply than their solid or cream counterparts. This saddle soap also comes with an easy to spray bottle for an extremely fast and convenient application.
Its formulation features glycerin that cleans, softens, and conditions your leather items without leaving any marks or stains. This special blend of formulation also cleans all tough stain and grime while giving your boot a long-lasting shine.
- Liquid saddles soap for easy application
- Features glycerin that polishes and conditions your boots
- Comes in an easy to use sprayer bottle
- With a blend of ingredients to make leather cleaning manageable and easy
- Has a variety of applications
- Cleans, polishes, and conditions in one simple step
- Remove, oil, dirt, and embedded grime
- Gives your leather items a long-lasting shine
- It is odorless
- Dries faster and does not leave stain or residue.
- It may bleach the color of some leather items
- The bottle may leak if not stored properly
Saddle soap is a good option to clean leather items. If properly used it can give you amazing results. However, if you buy the wrong product, it might destroyer your items. Also, avoid using saddle soap on nubuck leather and suede since it may destroy them.